Research Asst. II (1 Opening)
Duties & Responsibilities
The primary focus of this position will be to help generate DNA and RNA reagents useful for low- and high-throughput studies within the lab and by others in the biological and biomedical research community. Principle Responsibilities: Use molecular biology techniques (PCR, Gibson and other cloning methods, gel electrophoresis, in vitro transcription) to generate and quality analyze plasmid DNA and RNA reagents. Use lab automation and other approaches to help perform molecular biology techniques at large scale and make experiment-ready copies of DNA or RNA reagent libraries (96- and 384-well format). Input reagent and quality analysis information into the laboratory information management system (LIMS). Monitor new requests and input project completion information into an online facility request system • Maintain precise records of work. Work efficiently and cooperatively with a team of researchers. Opportunity to contribute to research projects, improve processes, and develop new lab automation pipelines. Advise and help train less experienced technicians. Help troubleshoot molecular protocols.
- College background with at least one year prior experience in molecular biology techniques such as PCR, plasmid cloning, bacterial transformation, sequence analysis, DNA and/or RNA extraction, in vitro transcription.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred.
- Prior experience and use of automated liquid handling instrumentation.
- Excellent organizational skills, including the ability to plan ahead and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- This is a one-year term position with strong potential for renewal.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
- Time Off: 3 - 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
- Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
- Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
- Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
- Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
- Wellness options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complementary health services.
- Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
**The Harvard Medical School is not able to provide visa sponsorship for this position.