Administrative Coordinator (1 Opening) - Nov. 2019 [on hold due to COVID-19]
HHMI Administrative Coordinator, Boston, MA
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) is an independent, ever-evolving philanthropy that supports basic biomedical scientists and educators with the potential for transformative impact. We make long-term investments in people, not just projects, because we believe in the power of individuals to make breakthroughs over time. HHMI scientists have radically advanced the understanding of cells, the brain, the immune system, the development of organs, and how to treat many diseases.. Founded in 1953 by aviator and industrialist Howard R. Hughes, HHMI is headquartered in Chevy Chase, Maryland, and employs more than 2,500 people across the U.S.
At HHMI, you are not just an employee – you are a part of a creative and talented team with colleagues whose expertise ranges from biomedical research to investment management, from information technology to law. We encourage collaborative and results-driven working styles and offer an adaptable environment where employees can function at their highest level. As HHMI scientists continue to push boundaries in laboratories and classrooms, you can be sure that your contributions while working at HHMI are making a difference.
Dr. Norbert Perrimon’s lab in the Department of Genetics at Harvard Medical School is seeking an Administrative Coordinator to support their lab. This position provides high level administrative support to the Investigator and research staff in a fast-paced environment. The lab wants to understand how cells, tissues, and organs communicate during development. A more thorough understanding of these events can help elucidate how different tissues and cell types integrate within an organ, and how complex phenotypes arise in animals. More information can be found on their website: https://perrimon.med.harvard.edu/
Due to the fast-paced nature of the work of the lab, ideal candidates are people who thrive in quickly evolving environment and who have a strong ability to multitask, as well as have a strong understanding of management of large grants portfolios. This role is best fit for someone who is a self-starter and proactive in their support style – and someone who is passionate about the research work that the lab is conducting.
– Track grant and HHMI expenditures to facilitate efficient spending and provide monthly updates to the PI and lab, as well as ensure compliance with NIH regulations
– Provide administrative support to the Investigator and ~50 lab members
– Prepare all administrative materials for grant applications and progress reports such as biosketches, budget justifications, and other support documents
– Assist HR with hiring and on-boarding personnel for positions within the lab
– Arrange travel for Dr. Perrimon
– Process reimbursements
– Order lab supplies and arrange for equipment maintenance
– Serve as key liaison with HMS departments and HHMI
– Manage lab website
– Assist with publication submissions
– Prepare and monitor material transfer agreements
– Process shipping labels and associated import / export information
– Prepare slides and presentations for meetings and publications
– Draft letters and correspondence
– Prior experiencing in grants management / budget oversight for a large portfolio from a variety of sources (NIH, DoD, foundations)
– Ability to assess rolling tasks in busy lab and prioritize accordingly
– Excellent organization skills
– 4-7 years of prior Administrative experience in a laboratory setting
– Ability to work collaboratively with diverse group of lab personnel, as well as department personnel
– Strong computer skills, preferably on the Mac platform, including demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and graphics programs such as PowerPoint and Photoshop.
– Ability to work independently, use good judgment, meet tight deadlines and show initiative
– Familiarity with Harvard systems such as HCOM and GMAS
– Administrative experience in an academic laboratory
– Bachelor’s degree
HHMI is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Interested? Apply here!